This week, I know exactly what to muse about. Especially since I have unfortunately been unlucky enough to encounter one of these…
Today I am musing about: The Reading Slump!
What is a reading slump? The awful time when no book grips you and you lose the desire to read. You are easily distracted and really not interested in what you are reading.
Now, being lucky enough yesterday to be saved from the reading slump, here are some ideas you can use if you find yourself in such a horrible situation:
1. Drop the book you’re reading (not literally).
2. If you are like me and can’t bear not to finish a book, make sure you go and read in a quiet place with no distractions. No blogging, no phones. Just read – set yourself a goal If you hate the book you are reading but have to finish it, try and find some positive reviews online.
3. When you decide if you are going to finish the book/actually finish the book you’re reading, go to your bookshelf and pick up a book that you really loved and reread it or some of your favourite parts.
4. Go to your bookshelf and pick a book that you are really, really excited about. This works well if it the last book in a series that you really want to know how it ends.
5. Do some research. Go on YouTube and watch some book hauls/reviews/wrap-ups/tags, look up positive reviews of books you want to read and go and look at some blogs. Try a new genre or author.
6. This is good is you did idea 5. Go to a library or a bookstore (you could order a book online but you don’t get it instantly unless it is an ebook) and borrow/buy a book you want to read. Then come home and read it!
Books that got me out of reading slumps:
1. Every Day by David Levithan (this one was the book that just got me out of a reading slump!)
2. Cinder by Marissa Meyer
3. Wither by Lauren DeStefano
4. Delirium by Lauren Oliver
5. Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
6. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
7. The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
8. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
9. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
I could name a lot more. In fact all of the above are most of my favourite books.
Have you ever encountered a reading slump? What are your cures? Tell me your musing or leave me a link in the comments 🙂